Monday, October 18, 2010

For more on trees, stay tuned for three years.

A few years ago, adults wouldn't stop talking about "endless opportunity" when we got to college. Now that I'm here and Undeclared, I mock the minute shelf life of those opportunities. Everytime I try to explore, a new door closes in my face because of prereqs or some abstract stability, like a declared major in that area. How am I supposed to know if I like anything, if I can't test the waters? - Kathy

Following yellow leaves into the student union today, the sun pinched my cheeks, and realized I could never be an ascetic. All my happiness seems to come from sights, sounds, smells, tastes, feelings. To calm and discipline my mind would take away some bad, but too much good. Especially when my friends settle into my mind. I never want them out.

So I'm wandering. I keep checking my watch and there goes another twenty minutes, another day. As much as I refuse to renounce my sensory life, I'm having trouble with the Western view of only one life. Time will certainly beat me, but I'm racing it anyway. I really just hope I have time to stumble over more than one path in my short time.

I'd love to hit up the homestead right about now, though Walden Pond is gorgeous.



Sorry I always talk about the same shit.

Edit: "When I was a younger man lookin' for a pot of gold, everywhere I turned the doors were closing." - Old Before Your Time by Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment