Three things to "remember" become automatic when you do them enough, ergo all the yelling when you don't. I think some dumb-ass told them it was positive reinforcement. Three things: no breath the last stroke before a turn, at least 3 dolphin kicks off the wall, no breath the first stroke after you come up.
As I said, there's only so much energy, and complaining only gets your ass kicked, so you do your best. A dolphin kick while they're looking, then you're free to come up and gasp. A quick turn of the head as you glide into a turn. And today I found myself turning these tricks, and feeling the coach's wrath in my head. They always say, "You're only cheating yourself." Sure am, and today it felt so good. But why do I still consider it "cheating" when half the people in this pool can barely swim? I still try, and that's sort of confusing to others, and to myself when I think about it. What's the point? I don't compete, I don't want to. There is clearly no one to impress. Maybe it's because I know I can do it. Isn't that why they always yelled at us? Isn't that why we always got yelled at, because someone expects and believes better of us?
I guess there's certain things I'll always feel obligated to do.
I don't think this song, or this band, will ever be less than fantastic. (Barely Legal - The Strokes)
Oh yeah, it's spring in Boston. I heard a legend about this season, but I never go around believing those.

Reblogged from my new obsession: Garance Doré

No comments:
Post a Comment